The resulting deluge led many left stranded at their homes without food, water and electricity

Some Chennai hotels cancel New Year bash others likely to follow
news Chennai floods Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 13:58

With five star hotel Le Royal Meridien announcing the cancellation of their New Year’s Eve celebrations earlier this week, other premium hotels in Chennai may follow suit.

Elvis Taylor, Restaurant & Beverage Manager, Taj Coromandel said, “We are not going to have any new year bash this time as a result of the Chennai floods,” terming it as a “sensitive” decision on part of the management.

When The News Minute called few of the other top hotels in the city, they declined to comment about their decision on record.

A spokeswoman of a Vadapalani hotel said that they are also planning to call off their new year’s celebrations, but a final decision will be taken on Tuesday.

Le Royal Meridian’s chairman P.G. Periasamy had earlier said this time New Year's Day should be a day for prayers and not for revelry given the human misery caused due to the unprecedented rains. He added support, sympathy and togetherness is required to recover from this calamity.

According to government figures, 347 people have died as a direct consequence of  the unprecedented rainfall which hit Chennai and adjoining districts from October 1.

However, there have been media reports which suggest that the number could be well beyond 500.

Chennai and adjoining regions which earlier received two weeks of continuous rainfall during the second half November, was again hit by a second series of torrential rain from the start of this month leading to a situation when the Tamil Nadu government declared the city to be a disaster zone.

The resulting deluge led many left stranded at their homes without food, water and electricity and was left asking for help from rescuers.

 

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.