Chennai woman murdered, priest husband tied up and gagged at home

Gnanapriya was found with her head smashed in, while her husband Prabhu was found unconscious in the bathroom.
Chennai woman murdered, priest husband tied up and gagged at home
Chennai woman murdered, priest husband tied up and gagged at home
Written by:

In a horrific crime in one of the busiest areas of Chennai, a 24-year-old woman was found murdered in Vadapalani. Her husband was found tied up and injured in the bathroom of their apartment in the bylanes of Vadapalani’s South Sivan Koil Street.

Early on Thursday morning, Vijayalakshmi, the elderly owner and neighbour of the couple’s house, entered their common toilet on the first floor of their apartment building. To her horror, she found Prabhu (32) on the floor of the bathroom with his hands and legs tied, unconscious. Alarmed, she went to fetch Gnanapriya his wife. However, she found her head bludgeoned and lying on the floor in a pool of her own blood.

She alerted the police and neighbours.

According to reports, Gnanapriya’s thaali, Prabhu’s gold chain and Rs 40,000 in cash were missing from the house. The couple originally from Kancheepuram had settled in Chennai. Prabhu had been working as a priest at the Sivan Temple in Vadapalani for the past five years.

Gnanapriya’s body was sent to the Royapettah General Hospital for a post mortem. Reports revealed that a blunt object was used to kill the woman.

Initial investigations by the police, however, rule out crime for gain. Speaking to TNM, a senior investigating officer said, “It appears that the couple did not have any issues. But they were taking fertility treatments since they had not conceived for a long time after marriage.”

Prabhu, who regained consciousness at the hospital, reportedly told the police that two men attacked him and his wife and made away with the cash and jewellery at around 11: 30pm. He also said they were beaten up with a rod.

However, the senior officer says, “The rope with which Prabhu was tied appears to be from the temple. A cotton rope had been used to tie up Gnanapriya.”

Even as post mortem results are awaited from the hospital, the police is questioning Prabhu and has launched an investigation into the matter.

Related Stories

No stories found.
The News Minute