The Tamil Nadu government has split its districts into three categories based on the COVID-19 caseload and introduced relaxations accordingly.

Photo of a deserted road in Chennai during COVID-19 lockdown, 2021Image for Representation
news Lockdown Sunday, June 20, 2021 - 15:05

The Tamil Nadu government has extended the state-wide lockdown by another week, which will now end at 6 am on June 28. Travel to The Nilgiris, Kodaikanal, Yercaud, Yelagiri, Couttralam and other tourist areas will be allowed only for emergency purposes. However, an e-pass is required to travel to these places. The state has also split the 38 districts into three categories based on the COVID-19 caseload and has introduced relaxations accordingly. Under this structuring, the districts have been split into Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3 districts. Districts under the Type 1 category have a high COVID-19 caseload compared to the rest of the state. The existing lockdown norms and relaxations will continue in these 11 districts for the next week.These include Coimbatore, the Nilgiris, Tiruppur, Erode, Salem, Karur, Namakkal, Thanjavur, Tiruvarur, Nagapattinam and Mayiladuthurai

24 districts categorised as Type 2 have lesser COVID-19 cases than the 11 districts under Type 1, and hence, more relaxations. These include: Ariyalur, Cuddalore, Dharmapuri, Dindigul, Kallakurichi, Kanyakumari, Krishnagiri, Madurai, Perambalur, Pudukottai, Ramanathapuram, Ranipet, Sivaganga, Theni, Thenkasi, Tirunelveli, Tirupattur, Thiruvannamalai, Thoothukudi, Trichy, Villupuram, Vellore and Virudhunagar. Four districts fall under under Type 3 and have lower caseload and additional relaxations. These include Chennai, Kancheepuram, Tiruvallur and Chengalpattu.

What’s allowed Type 2 and 3 districts

> Stand-alone grocery, vegetable, meat and fish shops will be allowed to function between 6 am and 7 pm
> Shops on the footpath selling vegetables, flowers, fruits can stay open between 6 am and 7 pm
> Hotels, restaurants and bakeries can stay open, offering parcel service only, between 6 am and 9 pm. Food delivery services will be allowed during the said period
> E-commerce platforms can function between 6 am and 9 pm
> Sweet and snack shops can function between 6 am and 9 pm
> Registrar offices can function with full capacity
> All types of construction works will be allowed
> People can travel for weddings to Type 2 and Type 3 districts after obtaining an e-pass. A maximum of 50 guests will be allowed at these weddings.

Additional relaxations in Chennai, other Type 3 districts

These are the additional relaxations allowed in Chennai, Kancheepuram, Tiruvallur and Chengalpattu, apart from the ones already in place:

> Tea shops can stay open between 6 am and 7 pm for parcel service only
> Road-side eateries can function between 6 am and 7 pm for parcel services only
> Passengers can travel in rented cabs, taxis and autos without e-registration. Three passengers (excluding the driver) in rented cabs and taxis and two passengers (excluding the driver) in autos will be allowed.
> Public transportation buses between Chennai, Kancheepuram, Tiruvallur and Chengalpattu districts following 50% occupancy, no A/C and SOPs
> Public transport with 50% occupancy will be allowed within the district. Air conditioning cannot be used and other SOPs need to be followed
> Beauty parlours, salons, spas can function with 50% capacity without using air conditioning between 6 am and 7 pm
> Metro trains will start functioning with 50% capacity and SOPs
> Schools, colleges, universities and training institutes can open for admission related duties
> All government offices can function to their 100% capacity
> All private companies can function with a 50% workforce
> Homes for children, persons with disabilities and learning disorders, senior citizens, destitute, women, widows and related transportation to these homes shall be permitted without e-registration.
> Persons working at juvenile detention and correction centres will be allowed without e-registration
> Retail showrooms selling computer hardware, software, electronic appliance spare parts, etc can function between 9 am and 7 pm
> Export units, which have export commitments or export orders, and their vendor units providing inputs to such Industries, can function with 100% of workers by following SOPs
> Other industries can function with a 50% workforce
> Electricians, plumbers, computer and other machine servicemen and other self-employed personnel can work between 6 am and 7 pm with e-registration
> Shops that supply electrical items, bulbs, cables, switches and wires can function between 9 am and 7 pm
> Bicycle shops and two-wheeler repair shops can function between 9 am and 7 pm
> Hardware shops can function between 9 am and 7 pm
> Shops that supply vehicle spare parts can function between 9 am and 7 pm
> School books and stationery selling shops can function between 9 am and 7 pm
> Vehicle dealership repair shops can function between 9 am and 7 pm
> Two-wheeler showrooms and dealership showrooms can function between 9 am and 7 pm
> Footwear shops can function between 9 am and 7 pm
> Opticals showroom and repair shops can stay open between 9 am and 7 pm
> Stainless steel shops, fancy and cosmetics shops, photo/video studios, laundry service centres, tailoring units, printing and photocopying shops will be allowed to stay open between 9 am and 7 pm
> Earthenware and handicraft showrooms can stay open between 9 am and 7 pm
> Mixie, grinder, television retail showroom and repair centres can stay open between 9 am and 7 pm
> Cell phone retail and service centres can stay open between 9 am and 7 pm
> Shops selling construction materials can stay open between 9 am and 7 pm
> Sports training centres can open between 6 am and 7 pm. Sports competitions without allowing spectators can be held in open spaces
> Film and television program shooting can be held with a maximum of 100 persons, all of whom must have undergone COVID-19 testing
> Post-production work can be done
> Cinema theatres can be opened one day a week for maintenance purposes after obtaining the necessary permit from the zonal officer
> Home Financing Companies, non-banking financing companies, and microfinancing companies can function with a 50% workforce.

Additional relaxation in Type 2 districts

Following are the additional relaxations allowed in 24 districts, in addition to the ones already in place:

> Passengers can travel in rented cabs, taxis and autos without e-registration. Three passengers (excluding the driver) in rented cabs and taxis, and two passengers (excluding the driver) in autos will be allowed.
> Schools, colleges, universities and training institutes can open for admission related duties
> All essential government departments can function with 100% workforce and other government offices can function with 50% workforce.
> All private companies can function with 33% capacity
> Export industries and companies supplying to export industries can function with 100% capacity
> Other industries can function with 33% capacity
> Shops that supply electrical items, bulbs, cables, switches and wires can function between 9 am and 5 pm
> Bicycle shops and two-wheeler repair shops can function between 9 am and 5 pm
> Hardware shops can function between 9 am and 5 pm
> Shops that supply vehicle spare parts can function between 9 am and 5 pm
> Two-wheeler showrooms and dealership showrooms can function between 9 am and 5 pm
> School books and stationery selling shops can function between 9 am and 5 pm
> Vehicle dealership repair shops can function between 9 am and 5 pm
> Footwear shops can function between 9 am and 5 pm
> Opticals showroom and repair shops can stay open between 9 am and 5 pm
> Mixie, grinder, television retail showroom and repair centres can stay open between 9 am and 5 pm
> Earthenware and handicraft showrooms can stay open between 9 am and 5 pm
> Electricians, Plumbers, Computer and other machine servicemen and other self-employed personnel can work between 6 am and 5 pm with e-registration
> Cell phone retail and service centres can stay open between 9 am and 5 pm
> Shops selling construction materials can stay open between 9 am and 5 pm
> Sports training centres can open between 6 am and 5 pm. Sports competitions without allowing spectators can be held in open spaces
> Theatres owners can plan for maintenance work in their theatres once a week with permission from the zonal officer
> Home Financing Companies, non-banking financing companies, and microfinancing companies can function with a 33% workforce.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.