Reports suggest that around 24 soldiers of the Special Forces were para-dropped on the LoC.

Surgical ops across LoC What we know so far
news Surgical strikes Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 19:58

India on Thursday said it carried out surgical strikes on terrorist launch pads across the LoC in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) while Islamabad maintained there had been only cross-border clashes that left two of its soldiers dead.

“Based on very credible and specific information, the Indian Army conducted surgical strikes last night at these launch pads,” Director General Military Operations (DGMO) Lt General Ranbir Singh told reporters at a press conference jointly held by the Ministry of Defence and Ministry of External Affairs.

Watch India say conducted surgical strikes on terror launchpads across LoC

This announcement comes 11 days after terrorists killed 18 Indian soldiers in a horrific attack in Uri, Jammu and Kashmir.

In the joint presser, the DGMO said, "During these counter-terrorist operations, significant casualties have been caused to the terrorists and those who support them" but clarified the forces “do not have any plans for continuation of further operations”.

Soldier inadvertently crossed LoC, report of soldiers killed false: Indian Army

Despite extensive media reportage on the ‘surgical operations’, the Indian forces did not release further details.

Following an all-party meeting chaired by Home Minister Rajnath Singh on the same, "The surgical strike targeted 5-6 places across LoC along Kupwara and Poonch. No casualty on Indian side. Information that these terrorists were planning to attack some towns and important places prompted the Army to act," Information and Broadcasting Minister Venkaiah Naidu told reporters.

Union Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore in an interview with NDTV said, “the strikes are not military action because that would involve large number of forces and very heavy weaponry" and "only that amount of force was used which was called for, to take down terrorists and those who supported them".

News agency ANI quoting anonymous sources within the government and the army said the operation which started around 12:30 am on Thursday morning lasted till 4:30 am.

All the terror launch pads were 500m-2 km from the LoC in Bhimber, Hotspring, Kel & Lipa sectors

Reports suggest that around 24 soldiers of the Special Forces were para-dropped on the LoC from where the soldiers crossed over on foot and carried out the attacks without suffering any harm.

India Today reported Dhruv Advanced Light Helicopters of the Indian Army was used during the operations in which Indian forces completely dismantled three of six pre-mediated targets.

The special forces were equipped with Tavor and M-4 guns, grenades, smoke grenades, under barrel grenade launchers (UBGL) and night-vision devices. The report said that the assault operation caught the terrorists by surprise. The Indian forces used plastic explosives and delayed chargers/flamethrowers for the operation, The Telegraph reported quoting anonymous officials.

Going by Pakistani army statements on cross-border fighting, the report said the terror camps which were dismantled were across Nowgam, Bimbhar, Kel and Machhil sectors on the Indian side.

The report added that three soldiers of the Special Forces commandos of the 4-para and 9-para troops suffered non-fatal injuries in the operation but not in combat of which one was caused by a mine blast.

The Telegraph report stated that the Special Forces had a three-point brief of

  • Cause maximum casualties to terrorists and their handlers
  • Surprise and shock must for insertion, execution and extrication with no or minimum damage to own forces; no Indian soldier to be left behind
  • Special Forces detachments must execute plan in co-ordination with the infantry battalions manning the LoC

The special para troops were assisted by platoons of infantry battalions guarding the LoC in Rajouri, Baramulla and Kupwara divisions.

Although all forces including the IAF deployed along the LoC were put on alert, the BSF was only told about the operation 30 minutes prior to the assault, reported Hindustan Times.  The report said that the special forces had rehearsed the assault for more than a week.

According to multiple reports, the casualties on the terrorist side are said to be around 35-38 (excluding Pakistani army personnel). However, the number is likely to be higher with experts estimating an average of 30 terrorists in each of these five-six camps.

Times Now claimed the death toll of Pakistan's armed forces was nine.

This surgical operation was the first military response in a time of escalated tensions between India and Pakistan after the September 19 Uri attacks.

On the diplomatic front, India had spoken strongly against Pakistan in multiple forums including the UN and also convinced some of SAARC’s constituents to boycott Pakistan.  

India on Thursday said it carried out surgical strikes on terrorist launch pads across the LoC in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) while Islamabad maintained there had been only cross-border clashes that left two of its soldiers dead.

“Based on very credible and specific information, the Indian Army conducted surgical strikes last night at these launch pads,” Director General Military Operations (DGMO) Lt General Ranbir Singh told reporters at a press conference jointly held by the Ministry of Defence and Ministry of External Affairs.

Watch India say conducted surgical strikes on terror launchpads across LoC

This announcement comes 11 days after terrorists killed 18 Indian soldiers in a horrific attack in Uri, Jammu and Kashmir.

In the joint presser, the DGMO said, "During these counter-terrorist operations, significant casualties have been caused to the terrorists and those who support them" but clarified the forces “do not have any plans for continuation of further operations”.

Despite extensive media reportage on the ‘surgical operations’, the Indian forces did not release further details.

Following an all-party meeting chaired by Home Minister Rajnath Singh on the same, "The surgical strike targeted 5-6 places across LoC along Kupwara and Poonch. No casualty on Indian side. Information that these terrorists were planning to attack some towns and important places prompted the Army to act," Information and Broadcasting Minister Venkaiah Naidu told reporters.

Union Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore in an interview with NDTV said, “the strikes are not military action because that would involve large number of forces and very heavy weaponry" and "only that amount of force was used which was called for, to take down terrorists and those who supported them".

News agency ANI quoting anonymous sources within the government and the army said the operation which started around 12:30 am on Thursday morning lasted till 4:30 am.

All the terror launch pads were 500m-2 km from the LoC in Bhimber, Hotspring, Kel & Lipa sectors and had been under the scanner for one week, reported Economic Times citing sources.

Reports suggest that around 24 soldiers of the Special Forces were para-dropped on the LoC from where the soldiers crossed over on foot and carried out the attacks without suffering any harm.

According to multiple reports, the casualties on the terrorist side are said to be around 35-38 (excluding Pakistani army personnel). However, the number is likely to be higher with experts estimating an average of 30 terrorists in each of these five-six camps.

Times Now claimed the death toll of Pakistan's armed forces was nine.

This surgical operation was the first military response in a time of escalated tensions between India and Pakistan after the September 19 Uri attacks.

On the diplomatic front, India had spoken strongly against Pakistan in multiple forums including the UN and also convinced some of SAARC’s constituents to boycott Pakistan.  

 

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!

You can also support us with a one-time payment.

Rs 200Rs 500Rs 1500Custom