He had applied thinner to remove the paint on his hands and legs.

news Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 08:49

In a freak mishap, a 35-year-old painter died in a fire which broke out when he lit a cigarette after smearing himself with a combustible chemical to remove paint marks in Coimbatore.

Police said that on returning to his home in Karumathampatti from the day’s work on Friday night, the man applied thinner to remove the paint on his hands and legs and then lit a cigarette.

But a spark triggered a fire which engulfed him soon. On hearing his screams, neighbours rushed to the spot and admitted him to a government hospital.

However, he succumbed to the injuries without responding to treatment, police said.

Topic tags,
Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.