The inspector of the station was transferred and kept in waiting list.

Kannagi Nagar custodial death Gang sets motorcycles in police station on fire one cop transferred
news Crime Monday, September 26, 2016 - 09:47

Tension prevailed at the Kannagi Nagar police station on Sunday when a gang set nine motorcycles parked at the station on fire on Sunday morning. This comes five days after the death of Karthik, a suspect in a chain snatching case who died in police custody.

Around 3:30am, the gang set fire to four motorcycles parked behind the station and eventually other four motorcycles also caught fire, according to the police. Police told The New Indian Express, “Five personnel were present during the incident but we did not hear any explosion. First we suspected it to be petrol bombs, but there were no signs of any such items. We suspect the miscreants poured kerosene over the compound wall on the motorcycles parked close to the wall and set them on fire. We tried to douse the fair, but failed,” he said.

The police added the wall is six feet high so it is easy for miscreants to set motorcycles on fire.

However, the police has arrested one suspect in the case. His name is ‘Tsunami’ Dinesh, (21) who lives in Kannagi Nagar. Police is in search of the other gang members.

 On Wednesday, Karthik, a suspect in a chain snatching case, died at the Kannagi Nagar station. The police claimed that he succumbed to his injuries he got when he was chain-snatching. Karthik’s parents claim that he died after being tortured by the police. They also blamed the police of bribing the family with Rs 2 lakhs.

On Sunday, the inspector of the station, Munusamy was transferred and kept in waiting list. A police source told TNIE that repeated incidents at the station could have been the reason for the transfer.

Two police personnel- sub-inspector Bhagyaraj and head constable of Thoraipakkam station Vijaykumar were suspended on Thursday.


Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.