However, doctors at the Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences have denied any wrongdoing.

Ktaka hospital declared accident victim dead while he was still alive alleges family
news Accident Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 09:30

In a case of alleged medical negligence, friends and family members of a Hubbali youth have accused doctors at the Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences of declaring him dead, while he was still alive. 

23-year-old Praveen Mulle was brought to the hospital with grievous injuries due to a road accident and was declared “dead" by doctors. 

His friend and co-passenger Anil Renuke was also brought dead according to doctors at KIMS.

Praveen was driving a Ritz hatchback and four of his friends were in the car at that time. They were brought to the hospital after the car turned turtle on the outskirts of Hubbali.

However, doctors at KIMS have denied any wrongdoing.

Both the bodies were shifted to the hospital mortuary but Praveen's family alleged that when they came to receive the body, his heart was still beating and he was still breathing.

After this, they claim that he was taken to a private hospital where doctors said he could have been treated if he was brought earlier.

Soon, protests erupted demanding punishment for the "negligent" doctors and compensation for Praveen's family. 

Speaking to TNM, KIMS Director Dr. Dattatreya Bant said that what the private doctors are saying is not right. 

"The truth will come out once a post-mortem is done. He was brought dead and he was shifted to the mortuary. When the attendees went to take the body, the family claimed they found the patient’s heartbeat was there,” he told TNM.

Later, addressing reporters, acting Medical Superintendent of the hospital said, “There was a lot of commotion after relatives of one of the persons claimed that the person was alive. They took the body to a private hospital called Life Line without our permission. There, the senior doctors concerned said that rigor mortis has set in and the person may have died 3-4 hours ago or earlier. The body was then brought back.”

“Even after they were declared dead, both the bodies were kept in the casualty ward for half an hour. They were shifted to the mortuary only after checking the necessary parameters,” he added.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.