Prem Avinash, a third-year student from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras passed away early on Friday morning at Apollo Hospital, where he was being treated at Dengue Hemorrhage Fever.
According to Fifth Estate, the official campus media body of IIT Madras, the cause of death is said to be internal bleeding which led to multiple organ failure. On Tuesday, following a blood test report from the hospital inside the institute, he is said to have been taken to the hospital at Greams Road, Chennai.
He was pursuing a dual degree from the Mechanical Engineering department.
A message from the Registrar to the students says that the student died while undergoing treatment for Dengue shock syndrome/ Dengue Hemorrhage fever.
Fifth Estate has also asked students who have any symptoms of dengue fever to contact the institute hospital immediately.
According to a report by the National Vector-Borne Disease Control Programme, cases of dengue have more than doubled this year as compared to the same period in 2016, with seven out of ten cases being reported from Tamil Nadu or Kerala. 15 people have died due to dengue up until August in Tamil Nadu this year alone, according to J Radhakrishnan, Principal Secretary of the state’s Health Department.
There is an upsurge of dengue cases around the monsoons, and citizens are advised to take preventive steps, which include using mosquito repellents, wearing fully covered clothing which can be protective, not allowing clean water to stagnate in living spaces, avoiding unhygienic good, etc.
The common symptoms of dengue include sudden and continuous high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, severe joint and muscle ache, fatigue, tiredness, nausea, vomiting, skin rash, and at times easy bruising and bleeding from the nose and gums.