The fire, which was reported around 11.45 am, was caused due to an electric short circuit.

Fire breaks out in Chennais Citi Centre Mall no casualties
news Fire Monday, March 26, 2018 - 16:51

A fire broke out at Chennai’s Citi Centre Mall, located on Dr Radhakrishnan Salai on Monday. The fire, which was reported around 11.45 am, was caused due to an electric short circuit traced to an office on the third floor of the mall. 

Confirming the news to TNM, Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue Service Personnel Murali says the short circuit caused thick smoke and made it difficult for the rescue personnel to enter the area. 

The fire was immediately brought under control with no damage to lives. It was also reported that the short circuit occurred on the third-floor office of All-in-One Supermarket located inside the mall. 

An employee of the office, caught in thick smoke, was reportedly found in a semi-conscious state and was immediately taken to the hospital nearby for treatment. 

Speaking to TNM, an employee of the supermarket said, “The fire started at 11.20 am as soon as we opened the shop. It was a short circuit and they immediately noticed it. Within 2 or 3 hours it was all sorted out. A few plastic toys have burnt. There were only two people. No one was injured.”

A senior employee of the building also added that the building was fire safety compliant and that they had alerted the fire department as soon as they saw the fire.

The Citi Centre Mall opened in 2006 and houses a multiplex as well as retail outlets.

In June last year, a minor fire broke out at City Mall in Purusawalkam. Three fire tenders were rushed to the spot and the situation was brought under control.

In May last year, a major fire broke out at the Chennai Silks showroom, a saree and textile store in Chennai’s T Nagar. Material including jewellery and silk sarees worth several lakhs were reportedly destroyed in the fire. 

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.