Ambulance catches fire in Coimbatore due to oxygen leak and short circuit

Though the ambulance was damaged, people nearby escaped unhurt.
The ambulance after the fire was put out
The ambulance after the fire was put out
Written by :

Moments after a COVID-19 patient reached Coimbatore Medical College and Hospital in an ambulance and walked down to the COVID ward, a reported leak in an oxygen cylinder and a short circuit reportedly set the ambulance ablaze in Coimbatore on Saturday. While the patient was already out, fortunately, the driver and the people nearby too escaped unhurt. The visuals from the incident showed a raging fire damaging at the rear and windshield of the ambulance. The fire and rescue personnel were seen trying to put out the fire with water hoses. The fire was finally put out after half an hour’s worth of effort.

Speaking to TNM, a staff in Coimbatore Medical College and Hospital said, “The fire was caused while the 108 ambulance service staffer tried to change the oxygen cylinder due to a leak. However, the fire was immediately put out by the fire tenders.” Meanwhile, the Regional Medical Officer did not comment on the incident.

In the second COVID-19 wave in the country, many mishaps have been due to oxygen leaks and shortage. The reported leak in the oxygen cylinder in Coimbatore comes days after 13 COVID-19 patients reportedly died due to an alleged disruption in oxygen supply on May 5. While the district administration said that the patients died due to their comorbidities, Post Graduate students treating the patients said that the death occurred due to the negligence of the hospital. The PG students protesting in Chengalpattu Government Hospital said that they warned the hospital about disruption in oxygen supply but the issue was not addressed by the hospital authorities. The Chengalpattu Collector John Loius denied that the deaths were due to oxygen shortage.

Related Stories

No stories found.
The News Minute