The medical college chairman verbally abused them.
TNM Staff | Monday, January 25, 2016 - 13:51

Suicide note of the three female students of medical college at Kallakurichi in Villupuram district outlines the problems in the medical institute and the abuse by college chairman.

 In the suicide note, which is written in Tamil except for a few words in English, Monisha, Priyanka and Saranya, who were students of SVS Yoga and Naturopathy College, have hit out at the college management for giving poor facilities despite charging exorbitant fees.

They have mentioned the college chairman Vasuki Subramaiam as a person who verbally abused them by branding them criminals and “characterless”.

The girls committed suicide by jumping into a well.

Even in 2015, the students held a protes outside the District Collector’s office, when some students reportedly tried to kill themselves. However, no decisive action was taken against the college

Here is the full text (approximate translation) of the note:

“This is Saranya, Monisha and Priyanka. We study in SVS naturopathy's college. This institution fleeces money in the form of fees. There is no receipt for the money paid. The fees collected does not match the education that is given here. There are no staff.

 Despite several complaints no action has been taken. We have worked more here doing menial jobs than study. The college chairman Vasuki address us as criminals. Our parents and us have developed stress by studying here. We have suffered a lot in this institution. Atleast now please take action against this college.

We are committing suicide so that action can be taken on this college. But our move will be portrayed in bad light by college chairman Vasuki. She will address us as character less girls.

We are writing this in our conscience. Please take action against this college. Don't trust whatever the management says about us. It's all lies. We have not even passed 2nd year but gave paid 6 lakhs fees so far.”


The court said if the petitioner failed to obtain an order from the Supreme Court by September 30, then the post-mortem should be conducted on October 1.
Luke Koshi | Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 18:29

Almost a week after the death of Ramkumar - sole accused in the murder of Chennai techie Swathi - under suspicious circumstances, the Madras High Court has now deferred his post-mortem till September 30.

This comes after Ramkumar’s father (petitioner) wanted a doctor of his choice in the autopsy panel and sought time for moving the Supreme Court on the issue.  

The high court said if the petitioner failed to obtain an order from the Supreme Court by September 30, then the post-mortem should be conducted on October 1.

On September 18, Ramkumar allegedly took his own life by biting a live wire at the Puzhal central jail where he was lodged.

A day later, Justice T S Sivagnanam refused to concur with the petitioner’s plea and appointed a panel of four government doctors for the autopsy.

After the order was challenged by the petitioner, his plea was referred to the Chief Justice by a division bench comprising justices Huluvadi G Ramesh and Vaidyanathan, each of who had their own differing points of view on the issue.

The Chief Justice then appointed Justice N Kirubakaran as the third judge who rejected the petitioner’s plea and instructed AIIMS Delhi to appoint a doctor for the post-mortem on or before September 27.

However, in the latest order, the Justice has now postponed the post-mortem till September 30.

The case has been mired in controversy ever since Ramkumar was arrested on July 1 for allegedly hacking to death 24-year-old Infosys employee Swathi at Nungambakkam railway station in Chennai.

His family has maintained that he did not commit the crime and that he is being framed.

Read: Suspect in Swathi murder case Ramkumar dead: Questions raised, allegations made

A few other cases in point which are shrouded in mystery relate to the deaths of Dalits Gokulraj and Ilavarasan.

On June 23, 2015, Gokulraj, a 21-year-old Dalit youngster was last seen along with a female friend at the Thiruchengode Arthanareeshwarar temple in Tamil Nadu. A day later, his headless torso was recovered from the railway tracks.

A post-mortem report conducted seven days after the murder reportedly concluded that multiple injuries were inflicted on him, and later his body was placed on the tracks, where it was possibly run over by a train.

Two of the main accused, Sankar and Kumar confessed to the crime before a court in Srivaikundam in July. They told the court that they had killed Gokulraj and stated that Yuvaraj along with others had abducted Gokulraj.

Yuvaraj was President of the Dheeran Chinnamalai Peravai, a Kongu-Vellalar caste-outfit and had evaded the police for more than 100 days before turning himself in to the CB-CID on October 11, 2015.

A purported suicide note and video of Gokulraj was also reportedly circulated on social media later, but police say that he was forced to write the note and record the video before he was killed.

The case was initially registered as a case of suspicious death but following the postmortem report, the case was changed to a murder case (Section 302 of IPC).

On September 18, 2015, in a sensational twist to the case, DSP Vishnupriya who was the investigating officer, committed suicide at her official residence in Tiruchengode.

Now, it remains to be seen whether Yuvaraj gets convicted.

Read: The murder which shook Tamil Nadu: Gokulraj’s death to Yuvaraj’s surrender, all you need to know

Another case which evoked much interest was the purported suicide of Dalit boy Ilavarasan.

On July 4, 2013, Ilavarasan’s body was discovered on the tracks in Dharmapuri, Tamil Nadu in an apparent case of suicide. But, his family and Dalit groups suspected it to be a murder by upper caste groups.

A total of three autopsies were performed. The first one was conducted just a day later at the Dharmapuri Government General Hospital. On July 11, a second autopsy was conducted by experts from Chennai. A third autopsy was conducted on July 13, based on the orders of the Madras High Court.

The final conclusion of the report was that Ilavarasan suffered a fatal head injury caused by a moving train and there was no evidence of any physical torture.

Ilavarasan had married Divya, a girl belonging to the upper Vaniyar caste. This had led to riots in November 2012, in which three Dalit villages were attacked and around 250 Dalit homes were set alight.

While a four-page suicide note found on Ilavarasan’s body seemed to lend credence to the suicide theory, his family maintained that it was not his writing. 

She was admitted to the hospital on Thursday with fever and dehydration.
TNM Staff | Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 12:37

The latest health bulletin released by Apollo Hospitals in Chennai on Saturday assures all those worried about Amma’s health that the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa is back to a normal diet, but still continues under observation.

She was admitted to Apollo Hospitals on Greams Road in Chennai with fever and dehydration at around 11 pm on Thursday. Accompanied by her aide Sasikala, the Chief Minister was taken by a special convoy to the hospital.

Ever since TN CM was hospitalised, many rumours have been doing the rounds including that she would be flown to Singapore for further treatment. 

Two sources who work closely with the Chief Minister told The News Minute that there was no such plan now and they were hopeful of her getting discharged in a day or two.

Sources in the airport confirmed that presently no flights or air ambulances have been booked for the same.

"Our CM is alright now and she is on a normal diet. These rumours are wrong," AIADMK spokesperson CR Saraswathi told TNM.  "There is so much floating around in Whatsapp groups. Such rumpur mongering is unhealthy and that too when the hospital is issuing health bulletins," said lawyer Rajasekharan Chandrasekharan.

The 68-year old CM suffers from diabetes, cellulitis, hypertension among other ailments, as mentioned in her 2014 bail plea filed at the Karnataka High Court following her conviction in the disproportionate assets case.

Also read: Jayalalithaa admitted in hospital: What we know so far

Jaya in hospital: Chennai police block roads, as ministers and cadre gather