Techie taken hostage for 8 hours in Bengaluru, robbed of Rs 45,000

Anurag had missed his bus to Chennai when he was pushed into a van and held hostage for 8 hours.
Techie taken hostage for 8 hours in Bengaluru, robbed of Rs 45,000
Techie taken hostage for 8 hours in Bengaluru, robbed of Rs 45,000
Written by:

A 25-year-old Infosys employee from Chennai was abducted and robbed of Rs. 45,000 after he missed his bus late in the night in Bengaluru. Anurag Sharma, who works as a senior systems manager with Infosys in Chennai, was returning after attending a family function in Bengaluru.

He was to leave in a bus at 11:50 pm on January 31 from a bus stop near the Audi Service center on Hosur Main Road in Bengaluru. However, he missed the bus after he reached the bus stop late. At around 1 am, things took a turn for the worse for Anurag when a white Maruti Omni van pulled over and a man pulled him inside the van. Two people waiting at the bus stop with him also rushed into the van as it sped away.

Inside the car, Anurag was blindfolded and assaulted by three people while the driver continued to drive around the city. "I was pinned down to the floor of the car and my wallet and phone was taken from me. They took my credit and debit card and threatened me to give up the pin," Anurag said in his statement to the police.

Eventually, the attackers withdrew Rs. 45,000 in total after stopping at several ATMs and using the credit cards owned by Anurag after he divulged the ATM pin at knife-point. The ordeal ended over 7 hours later at 8:30 am on Friday morning when he was thrown out of the van near Chandapura with his hands and legs tied.

Anurag later freed himself and visited Narayana Multi-Speciality Hospital for treatment. In his complaint, Anurag stated that he remembered two names - Rahul and Umesh - used by the attackers. He also identified the attackers to be between 20-25 years of age along with an older driver.

Anurag was earlier working with Infosys in Mysuru before shifting to Chennai. Police officials are investigating the case after registering an FIR in Parappana Agrahara Police Station in the city.

Related Stories

No stories found.
The News Minute