Renuka was shifted from 'Aramghar', the home where she was left in the deplorable condition, to the Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust.

Woman who was found tied up in Hyderabad rehab centre recovering no arrests yet in the caseA screenshot from the video of Renuka that emerged.
news Crime Friday, June 02, 2017 - 14:55

Days after she was found tied up and sitting in her own excreta in a Hyderabad rehab home, Renuka, alias Rinku, is slowly recovering.

On Wednesday, Renuka was shifted from 'Aramghar', the home where she was left in the deplorable condition, to the Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust (KGNMT) in the city.

Speaking to The News Minute, P Padmavathi, the in-charge of KGNMT, said, "She is getting much better. She is eating food by herself, moving around, and even mingling a little bit with other inmates. However, she's still not speaking complete sentences."

Padmavathi also adds that the police visited Renuka along with members of the Telangana State Legal Services Authority, which had taken up the case after the media brought it to light.

"She is presently on medication which will last for another 10 days or so, after which we will consider taking her for psychiatric treatment. Since we do not want the two treatments to clash, we will wait till she is physically fit," Padmavathi says.

When asked if there were any signs that showed violent behaviour, Padmavathi said, "She has not been giving any problem or showing any signs of violence. As soon as she was shifted, she seemed quite calm. She mostly strolls around and sleeps when she wants to."

Padmavathi adds that Renuka still seemed slightly disturbed, as she did not make a lot of eye contact, and exhibited certain behaviour indicative of an unsound mind.

However, she has been very calm ever since she was shifted

When asked how long she will stay at the home, Padmavathi says, "Till she discloses her personal details and tells us where her family or some caretaker is, we can't discharge her. It is tough to estimate how long it will take, as she still gives conflicting views on how many family members she has, and her background."

"We have 47 mentally unsound women, of whom 16 are in the recovery phase, while the remaining are in a severe condition. We are continuously monitoring her and caretakers will note down when she talks. We are hoping to see more progress soon," she added.

The police, which registered a case against Aramghar under section 342 of IPC after Renuka’s videos went viral, has not made any progress in the case.

"We have registered a case, but we can't move forward till we record Renuka's statement. We are waiting for her to recover, after which we will proceed further and take legal advice," Inspector Jagadeeshwar from the Mailardevpally police station told TNM.

Meanwhile, reports add that officials from the Women and Child Welfare Department were constantly monitoring the case, and are waiting a report from Aramghar.

“Based on the report, which is likely to reach me in the next two days, we will see what needs to be done with those who have been living there. We want to ensure that they are safe and secure. We will see if we they can be shifted to a better place,” Viziendra Boyi, director of the department, told The New Indian Express.

You can read our earlier report on Renuka, and all that she was put through here: Tied up, stripped, forced to sit in her own excreta: Inhuman treatment of woman at Hyd home


Show us some love and support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.