If board will study the NGT order, and if it includes industries in the entire catchment area, which covers 35% of Bengaluru, more notices will be issued.

Will Bellandur lake finally be free from pollutants Closure notices issued to 97 industries in the areaVarun Krishna/Twitter
news Environment Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 09:27

Once a beautiful lake in Bengaluru, just a few years ago, Bellandur lake began frothing and later also caught fire. Shocked by this state of the water body, and even before the National Green Tribunal order directing the civic agencies to buck up and clean the Bellandur Lake in six months, the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board had begun issuing closure notices to 97 industries in Bellandur.

The state pollution control board has still not surveyed the area for which the NGT order on Wednesday, directing industries polluting the lake to be shut, will apply.

According to the board’s Chairman Lakshman, if it found that the NGT order applies to the entire catchment area of the lake, which covers around 35-40% of Bengaluru city, then more than a thousand industries would have to be issued closure notices.

“Totally, there are 486 industries that were identified, out of which 97 have water-based units. Some of them were also small scale ones like washing, garments, dyeing and laundry services as well,” he added.

The board is waiting for the Karnataka government’s final list of industries which will face closure notices after the NGT order on Wednesday.

“The NGT has said that all industries in the vicinity of the lake must be shut, but it is yet to be ascertained to what extent this applies. The order has to be studied thoroughly and if it includes the entire catchment area, then notices will be issued to all of them,” the chairman said.

Four teams were formed to file a report initially after surveying the area around the lake. The report has so far identified 97 units.

The Chief Environment officer appointed for the Bellandur Lake will meet with officials from the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board, BBMP and BWSSB on Friday, where details about the future course of action will be chalked out.

According to KSLDA Chief Executive Officer Vidhyasagar Rao, a joint inspection team will be formed to look into the NGT’s order, which was issued on Wednesday. “The closure drive will only intensify from next week,” he added.

However, the state pollution control board Chairman, said that the joint committee, headed by Mohan Krishna would be studied first before issuing notices.

“The Tribunal has issued its order based on one committee's report. Notices had been issued to industrial units that did not follow licensing norms by not setting up captive effluent treatment plants. The new joint committee will also file a report and further action will be taken after that. If necessary, more industries will be issued notices,” he added.

Show us some love and support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.