Food safety
A video of the incident shows the rat in the plate, following which the man lifts it up by its tail and carries it to the counter.

A man in Warangal was in for a shock after he found a dead rat in his curry, while eating at a famous tiffin centre in the city.

The incident took place at Akshay Tiffin Centre beside Rohini Hospital at Subedari.  M Ramesh found the rodent in his brinjal curry.

A video of the incident shows the rat in the plate, following which Ramesh lifts it up by its tail and carries it to the counter.

He is seen asking the person at the counter how this could have happened and says that he would call the police and inform them about this.

He also asked people at the centre not to eat anything from there as they could fall sick.

The police then directed the man to approach the Greater Warangal Municipal Corporation (GWMC) as the issue came under the latter's jurisdiction.

Speaking to TNM, GWMC Municipal Health Officer Raja Reddy said, "Along with a sanitary inspector, we conducted checks on the tiffin centre and took a sample of the curry and sent it to the lab for a test."

"While their premises were relatively clean and basic hygiene was maintained, their workers did not wear any gloves or hair nets and take necessary precautions while cooking. Therefore, we have fined them Rs 10,000 and cancelled their trade license for the next 3 days," he added.

The officer said that the lab report would arrive in three days, following which action will be taken accordingly. 

"If it is an adverse report, then the place will be shut permanently. Otherwise, they will be allowed to open again," he added. 

TNM's attempts for a comment from the outlet went unanswered.

In April this year, a shocking video surfaced from the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) in Hyderabad, which showed the unhygienic conditions of the canteen.

The video went viral, as it showed large rats and bandicoots roaming around the food and nibbling bits and pieces from every vessel present. 

 

Read: Video of rat-infested kitchen at Hyd airport goes viral, cops issue warning