The IUML leader has been admitted at a private hospital in Kochi for cancer treatment.

Vigilance questions IUML MLA Ebrahim Kunju at hospital in flyover scam
news Palarivattom flyover scam Tuesday, December 01, 2020 - 08:54

VK Ebrahim Kunju, former Minister and member of the Indian Union Muslim League, was questioned by the Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau (VACB) at a private hospital in Kochi, in connection with the Palarivattom flyover scam. The IUML Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA), who was earlier arrested, was admitted in the hospital for cancer treatment.

The VACB, probing the case, interrogated the MLA for over four hours. Emerging from the hospital after interrogation, Vigilance sleuths said that a report will be filed in the Muvattupuzha Vigilance Court.

Last week, the vigilance court had dismissed a bail plea filed by MLA Ebrahim.

The court had also dismissed a vigilance application seeking his custody but permitted the agency to question the ailing former minister a few hours on Monday at the hospital in Kochi without affecting his health.

Dismissing the plea to grant police custody of the accused, the court, which studied the report of a medical board constituted by it to assess the health of MLA Ebrahim, had said "there is no material suggestive of the fact that the accused is sound in body."

The court had directed the investigating officer and the other members in the team taking part in the questioning to undergo COVID-19 test within 24 hours before commencement of his interrogation.

The court had also directed the officer to give 15 minutes break after completion of every hour of interrogation.

Read: Aluva bridge scam: Kerala HC slams govt over delay in prosecuting Ebrahim Kunju

MLA Ebrahim’s arrest was recorded by the VACB on November 18 at the private hospital.

The IUML leader, representing Kalamassery constituency in the state assembly, was interrogated multiple times in the past by the agency in connection with the Palarivattom flyover scam case.

The Vigilance has alleged that he sanctioned interest-free funds to the contracting company, which had built the flyover, now closed after it developed cracks within a year of its inauguration in 2016.

The arrest came eight months after he was arraigned as accused in the corruption case relating to the construction of the flyover in the city.

(With PTI input)

Also read: How a Rs 48 crore flyover in Kochi got shut down just two years after construction