Two sisters, 13 and 9, commit suicide in Kerala; younger one was sexually abused say cops

The deaths have shocked Kerala and the police suspect a relative was abusing the girls
Two sisters, 13 and 9, commit suicide in Kerala; younger one was sexually abused say cops
Two sisters, 13 and 9, commit suicide in Kerala; younger one was sexually abused say cops
Written by:

Three days after a nine-year-old girl was found hanging in her home in Kerala’s Palakkad district, police confirmed everyone’s worst fears. The girl had been sexually abused.

The death of the nine-year-old was reported as a mirror death.  Her elder sister, a 13-year-old girl, was found dead under similar circumstances almost two months ago. “The younger girl was sexually abused,” Thrissur Range IG M R Ajith Kumar told The News Minute on Tuesday.  Both the kids were daughters of construction workers. Their dead bodies were found in the shed in which the family was living. The family was living there as their house was under construction in an adjacent plot.  
However, police are yet to confirm or deny if the elder sibling was also sexually abused. Earlier on Sunday the Sub-Inspector (SI) of the local police station said that it was not clear if she was sexually abused from the post-mortem report and they have sent the samples for chemical analysis. The SI said that according to the report, there were injuries on the private parts of the older victim, but it could not be established if those were caused by sexual abuse.
The SI however maintained, “There are no injuries found on the bodies of the girls. There was no attempt of smothering either. The post-mortem reports say that the deaths were due to hanging. But the doctors hold the view that since they are children we can’t write off the chances of homicide. We suspect neighbours or relatives," he said on Tuesday. No arrests have been made yet in connection with the twin deaths. However police have reportedly taken a relative of the family into custody. This, after the parents revealed that he had abused the elder girl in the past.

"But he never used to come home when we were present. After the initial abuse, both of us didn't go to work and sat at home for a few days...he did not come then. Then one day when we went to work, he came again. Neighbours told us that he had come home the day our elder daughter killed herself,” the mother of the girls told the media.  Apparently both the victims hung themselves from the ceiling after standing on a chair. 

Recently, there have been multiple reports of sexual abuse against children in the state with reports of seven inmates of an orphanage in Wayanad being sexually abused and allegedly raped by locals. 
A Christian priest was arrested on February 27 for allegedly raping and impregnating a 16-year-old minor.

Related Stories

No stories found.
The News Minute