1. Two people drowned and four others are missing after the coracle in which they were moving capsized in Hogenakkal on Sunday. Despite them wearing lifejackets, the mishap occurred when the family on the coracle reportedly tried moving leading it to topple. Three members were rescued, while those missing includes a 10-month old baby.
2. A dog in Besant Nagar, Chennai was put to sleep after it received severe injuries when two construction workers beat it with iron rods. A witness noticed the incident and later found the dog in pain. The two men were charged under IPC Section 429 and Section 11 for killing and cruelty to an animal.
3. The Global Investors Meet scheduled for September 9 and 10 is fast approaching. One plus side for public dealing with pothole-ridden roads are efforts by the Chennai corporation to give 60 select roads in Chennai a facelift so as to convenience expected investors.
4. Home to a traditional tribal community, the Jawadhu hills has gone through a whole transformation. Money gained from illegal sale of red sanders in nearby Andhra Pradesh has given the community an economic boost, reports J Shanmuga Sundaram of the New Indian Express.
5. Showing no signs of staying away, DMK chief M Karunanidhi has announced a tour of the Tiruvarur Assembly constituency where he will launch â€śwelfare schemesâ€ť, reported The New Indian Express. To be held on September 20, he is expected to address a public meeting there.