news Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 05:30

The News Minute | March 28, 2015 | 1:40 p.m. IST

A “misleading” report by CNN and a flurry of responses on social media led the Tunisian authorities to clarify that the Star Wars’ sets in the country hadn’t been taken over by the Islamic State.

According to a report in The Hindu, the President of the Star Wars fan club in Tunisia was alerted to the report by friends. The report by CNN said that the sets where Luke Skywalker’s home was were vulnerable as they had been made a “way station” for IS trooping coming into the country from Libya.

Tunisia was the victim of a terrorist attack last week after 21 people were killed last week in an attack on a museum.

“I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that all is normal, in fact we’ve seen a big influx of foreign tourists and Tunisians”, said Col. Mokhtar Hammami of the National Guard to The Associated Press. 

The story was reported widely and shared on social media even though the sets are reportedly hundreds of miles away.

And this is how Tunisia celebrates Star Wars day:

Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.