TN govt goes to SC against Madras High Court decision against land-grabbing cells
news Friday, February 20, 2015 - 05:30
The News Minute | February 20, 2015 | 05.20 am IST Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O. Panneerselvam Friday said the government has filed a special leave petition in the apex court against the order of Madras High Court quashing its two orders for the setting up of anti-land grab police cells and special courts. "A special leave petition against the high court's order was filed at the Supreme Court on Tuesday," Panneerselvam told the state assembly. He said that as per the high court order, the anti-land grab police cells cannot function as a separate unit. He said the high court order also does not signify that land worth Rs.2,354 crore, restored to the original owners, would now be reverted to the land grabbers. Panneerselvam said since the AIADMK government came to power in 2011 and till Dec 31 last year, a total of 2,838 land grab cases have been registered and 2,905 people were arrested. He said land worth Rs.2,354 crore measuring 4,870 acre and 32,19,284 sq.ft. housing plots have been recovered from land grabbers and handed over to 2,637 land owners. Panneerselvam said that out of 2,838 cases registered, chargesheet has been filed in 660 cases and in three cases, land grabbers have been convicted. With IANS
Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.