Three people were hospitalised in Anantapur's Government General Hospital (GGH) in Andhra Pradesh on Wednesday, after they showed symptoms of anthrax.
The Times of India identified them as Bavakka (30), Rangappa (35) and Lakshmamma (55), who were natives of Chettumorampalli village, and developed blisters and fell ill, after consuming sheep meat around 10 days ago.
The doctors at GGH set-up an isolated ward for the patients, and said that they were stable. They also asked authorities to check if anyone else who consumed the same meat fell ill, the TOI report adds.
In June this year, five patients in Andhra, undergoing treatment for skin infections at the King George Hospital (KGH) in Visakhapatnam, tested positive for cutaneous anthrax.
Addressing the media, doctors said that the disease may have infected the patients, after they consumed the meat of a goat, which was infected with Bacillus anthracis, the bacteria that causes the disease.
However, doctors said that there was no reason to panic, and the disease could be cured, and it could be contained with the help of vaccination drives.
According to Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Anthrax is a disease which is caused by â€śgram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracisâ€ť.
Cutaneous anthrax, or skin anthrax, is the most common form of the disease and is contacted by the person when he/she has a break in their skin and comes in contact with anthrax spores. This is common for people who work with anthrax-infected animals or even when they handle contaminated wool, hide or hair of the animal.
Cutaneous anthrax is also the least dangerous, with 20% chances of it being fatal if untreated.
Anthrax cases are reported from Vizag's Agency areas like Chintapalli, Munchingput and Araku almost every year, as it consists of a large tribal population that live in remote areas, with no proper connectivity to health care facilities.