More than a month after a Hyderabad court convicted four people in the Akbaruddin Owaisi attack case, three of the convicts moved the High Court on Monday against the verdict.
This comes a week after the Telangana government filed an appeal in the High Court, challenging the same trial court judgment that also acquitted 10 people in the case.
Akbaruddin Owaisi was attacked on April 30, 2011, by assailants with knives, who later opened fire at him.
In June, a court held Hasan Bin Omer Yafai, Abdullah Bin Younus Yafai, Awadh Bin Younus Yafai and Salem Bin Wahlan guilty of the crime. They were sentenced to 10 years imprisonment.
The prime accused, Mohammed Pahelwan, including 10 others, was acquitted.
Hasan, Abdullah and Awadh have now filed an appeal, and asked for bail.
However, while filing the appeal last week, the state sought enhancement of the 10-year jail term imposed on the four convicted in the case.
In its representation, the state reportedly relied on the opinion of doctors who said that the MLA had sustained serious injuries, and could have died, if he was not brought to the hospital in time.
Akbaruddin Owaisi was in the Barkas area of his constituency, along with Malakpet AIMIM MLA Ahmed Bhalala, when several men, allegedly sent by prime accused Mohammed Pahelwan attacked him with knives, and opened fire as he ran towards his car.
The incident had triggered a massive shutdown in the Old City area, with police imposing Section 144 and stepping up security for days.
Police had said that an ongoing property dispute was the motive behind the attack.
Police said that Pahelwan, a former AIMIM party member turned property dealer, allegedly hatched the plan to attack Akbaruddin.