"The needle of suspicion points to the persons working at Roja's house," the police said.

 Theft at YSRCP MLA Rojas house in Hyderabad police complaint lodgedFile photo: PTI
news Crime Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 08:10

Unidentified miscreants broke into the house of actor-turned-politician K Roja, at Manikonda in Hyderabad on Monday, and stole gold and silver items worth Rs 10 lakh.

The police said that the Tollywood actress, who is also the YSRCP MLA from Nagari, had left for Chennai with her family.

The police quoted Roja saying that she had given the house keys to their maid, who later handed over the keys to Roja's neighbours.

After finding the gold and silver articles missing from the almirah on their return to Hyderabad, Roja's husband and director Selvamani, filed a complaint with the Raidurgam police.

According to reports, four silver plates, 16 tolas of gold and a diamond were stolen from the residence.

Addressing reporters, Raidurgam inspector M Ram Babu said, “Since there was no sign of the main door being broken or the cupboards being opened by force, the needle of suspicion points to the persons working at their house. Since all the employees had gone to their native place to celebrate Sankranti, the house was locked.”

The police said that they had collected clues from the spot along with CCTV footage, and also questioned a few people related to the case. Further details would be revealed soon, police said.

They are expected to quiz the domestic helps and car driver in relation to the theft.

Roja’s family also said that a minor theft had occurred at their residence a few years ago, but they had not filed a complaint with the police, at the time.

The YSRCP MLA was earlier in the news even when she travelled to Kuwait with her family for Dusshera holidays.

News that YSRCP MLA Roja was arrested in Kuwait went viral on social media after a few local Telugu channels reportedly carried the news.

Roja had attended a YSRCP meeting organised by the party's NRI cell in the city. While some news reports claimed that the organisers did not take any permission from the police for the event, and created a ruckus, others reported that 'severe efforts' were being undertaken to get Roja out of police custody.

The legislator later denied the reports.