In his plea, Subhasri's father has also sought the enactment of a special law to curb the erection of illegal banners.

Subhasris father approaches Madras HC seeks SIT probe Rs 1 cr compensation
news Court Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 18:23

The father of Subhasri, the 23-year-old Chennai techie who lost her life when a banner fell on her last month, has approached the Madras High Court seeking the constitution of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe his daughter’s death. In a petition filed before the court on Wednesday, R Ravi has also sought Rs 1 crore as compensation for Subhasri's death. 

“The petitioner submits that the foremost reason for the [accident] and his daughter's death is negligent act of Govt. officials in their duty. The inaction on the part state that the law enforcing machinery is not preventing or removed the illegally erected unauthorized Digital banner/ Flex board on the day of accident (sic),” states the petition. 

On September 12, an illegal hoarding placed to welcome Tamil Nadu Deputy Chief Minister O Panneerselvam for the family function of AIADMK leader S Jayagopal turned into a death trap. The flimsy banner fell on a two-wheeler bound Subhasri as she was returning home from work on the Thoraipakkam- Pallavaram road. The young woman lost her balance upon being struck by the banner and a tanker lorry ran over her, taking her life. The petition says that the lorry had been speeding and was being driven rashly.

Ravi also alleges that he has not received a response from the Tamil Nadu government to his requests. He had submitted a representation to the government seeking Rs 1 crore as compensation for the death of his daughter as well as the constitution of an SIT probe.

“Further [Ravi] requested to take necessary steps to enact a Special act with maximum punishment to curb the unauthorized/ illegal erecting or display of Digital banner's and Flex boards and hoardings but till date [Government of Tamil Nadu] have not chosen to reply and consider the same (sic),” the petition states.

Jayagopal was finally arrested on September 27 after he absconded for over two weeks. Two cases have been filed against him for putting up hoardings illegally without permission from the Chennai Corporation. One case has been filed against him in the Pallikaranai police station under Section 3 of The Tamil Nadu Open Places (Prevention of Disfigurement) Act, 1959 (for placing advertisements on the road illegally) and Section 326 of the Indian Penal Code (causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means).

The case will be taken up for hearing on Thursday.