Commuters in Chennai, who frequently use the stretch on Anna Salai between Thousand Lights and LIC can expect to heave a sigh of relief as the Chennai Traffic Police is contemplating opening that stretch to two-way traffic again. The trial run for the same will happen on Wednesday and Thursday, as per reports.
The stretch was made one-way nearly seven years ago, in 2012, for the construction of Chennai Metro line underground. Though the trial run is only for two days, it will soon be made permanent soon after the construction of a road median is completed from Spencer Plaza to Tarapore towers.
The traffic changes in the stretch for Wednesday and Thursday are:
- Vehicles from Teynampet shall proceed towards Tarapore Towers, while those coming in the opposite direction would be diverted through General Patters Road (GP Road) and Whites Road to reach Anand theatre.
- General Patters Road and Whites Road from Royapettah clock tower will also be made two-way on Wednesday and Thursday. Whites Road will be made two-way from Clock tower to Anna flyover.
- Vehicles coming from Bharathi Salai can reach Anna Salai via GP Road and Whites Road
- Vehicles coming from Binny Road can take right turn at Spencers Junction to go towards Anna flyover
- Vehicles coming from Binny Road can take right turn at Spencer’s Junction and pass through Pattullas road to reach Whites Road (or) Bharathi Salai
- Vehicle coming from Greams Road and Anna flyover can take a ‘U’ turn at Anna Salai-Whites Road junction
- Vehicles going from Whites Road to Smith Road may now take a right turn at Spencer Plaza.
- Smith Road, which connects Whites Road and Anna Salai continues to remain one way.
- Motorists from Royapettah and Mylapore can reach Anna Salai either through Whites Road or G P Road.