Naveen had allegedly been harassing and stalking her for months and on Monday, offered her a brand new mobile phone in exchange for sexual favours.

Stalker thrashed by crowd for harassing minor girl in Bengaluru taken into custody Image for representation.
news Sexual Harassment Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 09:21

A 26-year-old man was beaten up by locals on Monday in Bengaluru’s Laggere area, near Rajagopal Nagar for harassing a minor girl. The man, identified as Naveen, was later caught by the Nandini Layout police and taken into custody for questioning after locals saw him misbehaving with the ninth standard girl. Naveen had allegedly been harassing and stalking her for months and offered her a brand new mobile phone in exchange for sexual favours.

After a crowd took note of his actions on Monday, they gathered and began beating him after which they handed him over to the police. The girl’s mother has asked for Naveen to be let off with a strict warning and has decided against taking any further action against him.

He had reportedly been stalking her for months and had been harassing her. The victim finally opened up to her parents about the months of harassment following which the girl’s mother followed her on Monday, as the girl was going to school, to see what Naveen would do.

“The accused would often follow the girl. She had informed her parents about it, but they did not take it seriously,” a police official reportedly said.

However on Monday, when the girl’s mother saw that he was indeed harassing her daughter, she confronted him near PC Nagar in Laggere, upon which he began arguing with her. She called for help from passersby, after he threatened her. A small crowd gathered and eventually began beating Naveen, following which the locals dragged him to the Nandini Layout police station.

Officers at the station took a statement from the girl’s mother.

Earlier in November, a 28-year-old man from Doddaballapura had killed a 16-year-old girl for refusing his advances. The man had been pestering her family to get her married to him after she turned 18. Following the murder, he was arrested by Doddaballapura police.