1. The Andhra Pradesh Assembly, which is under pressure from the Opposition, is likely to pass a resolution in its monsoon session urging the Centre to grant special status to the state. Over the past week, several cases of suicide have been reported in the state over the delay on the part of the Central government in granting special status to Andhra.
2. A psychopath who has created terror in Andhra Pradesh's West Godavari district with needle attacks on women struck again on Sunday, this time targeting a two-year-old. The baby was sitting along with her parents when the unidentified man attacked her with injection in Mutyalapallimandi village in Mogaltur mandal. Read details.
3. A research scholar in food technology at the Sri Venkateswara University has filed a patent on an Indian variant of the Mexican alcoholic beverage tequila. Sangati Chennakesava Reddy has found that the trunk of the â€˜Naara Kalabandaâ€™ or â€˜Kittha Naaraâ€™ is high in starch content and can be used to prepare ethanol, AD Rangarajan for The Hindu reports.
4. The TDP has said that Opposition leader YS Jagan Mohan Reddy would be responsible if there were any disruptions in the upcoming state Legislative Assembly session and that any ruckus will not be tolerated, reports Deccan Chronicle.
5. Some aspects of the maintenance of seven important (A-grade) temples in the state will be privatised from September 1, SS Chary of The New Indian Express reports. The endowments department has given the task of maintaining sanitation and house-keeping work in the temples to a private company called Facilities Management Services. Read details.