Three workers fell unconscious after pouring acid into a drainage pipeline to clear a blockage at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport.

Plumber Narasimha Reddy who died while working at Hyderabad airport Narasimha Reddy
news Death Friday, June 18, 2021 - 16:13

A 42-year-old plumber died while clearing a blocked drainage pipe at the Hyderabad airport, after inhaling toxic fumes. The tragic incident happened at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport on June 17 evening. Narasimha Reddy was at the Hyderabad airport along with two other workers, to fix a drainage leak at the arrivals area, when the incident occurred. The other two workers are safe, according to police. The deceased plumber was shifted to Gandhi hospital for postmortem, police said. 

The three men worked for an agency called Faber Sindoori facility management services, which handles maintenance work at the airport. According to Shamshabad DCP (Deputy Commissioner of Police) Prakash Reddy, on June 17 evening, the three workers were working to fix a drainage leakage at the arrivals area.  They climbed up to the ceiling with the help of a ladder and then poured acid into the drainage pipes to clear a blockage. After this, the three men reportedly lost consciousness and were moved to a medical centre in the airport premises. 

Eventually, Narasimha Reddy lost his life. He is believed to have died from asphyxiation from inhaling the toxic fumes. The other two workers are safe, police said. According to Indian Express, a case has been registered under section 304 A (causing death by negligence) of the IPC (Indian Penal Code) against Faber Sindoori Facility Management Services.

In November 2020, a 35-year-old man named Malothu Bheema died in Hyderabad due to the practice of manual scavenging. Bheema, who belonged to a Scheduled Tribes community, was cleaning a drain in Telangana Pharma, a pharmaceutical company located at Industrial Development Area, Uppal. Bheema and a co-worker Bhukya fell unconscious while cleaning the drain, unable to breathe. Others working at the facility noticed that they had lost consciousness and immediately pulled them out. However, it was too late for Bheema, who died immediately. 

Also read:  

Hyderabadis raise funds to buy bike for Zomato delivery person who used a bicycle

CJI proposes International Arbitration Centre in Hyd to resolve commercial disputes

Topic tags,
Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.