There was panic among locals of Antarvedi village in Andhra's East Godavari district, as gas leaked from a pipeline of the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) in Sakhinetipalli mandal.
The incident took place on Tuesday at around 11am.
Farmers who were working in the fields, were the first to witness the leakage from well number 'KV 10', situated near the local Government High School, ETV reported.
Locals alerted ONGC officials who rushed to the spot along with revenue officials to control the situation. Fire engines were also called in to help.
It is still unclear as to what gas leaked from the pipeline.
This is not the first such incident in the district, or in the area. According to TV9, this is the sixth reported incident in Sakhinetipally mandal in recent times.
In September last year, The Hindu reported that the Revenue Divisional Officer (RDO) decided to evacuate 167 families from Tadikonda as part of safety measures after a gas leak in the area.
In 2014, 15 people were killed and more than 25 were severely burnt after a reported fire at a pipeline of the Gas Authority of India Ltd, in Amalapuram in East Godavari district.
"We are living in panic as we do not know what will happen. Our houses are also getting cracks," a local told ABN Telugu last month, as a similar incident occurred in Sakhinetipalli mandal.
Watch a video of the gas leak below.