Since the baby did not let out a cry, the mother failed to notice that the baby was unconscious

One-year-old girl dies in Karnataka after swallowing onionImage for representation
news Death Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:06

In a shocking incident, an infant in Ballari district died after swallowing an onion on Saturday.

One-year-old Nityashree, was the only child to her parents Kalpesh and Archana.

According to the Bangalore Mirror report by Vandana Kamath, the toddler was playing in the veranda while Archana was speaking to the neighbour.

Onions were scattered in the veranda for drying.

Nityashree reportedly crawled towards the onions, reached out to one of them and swallowed it. The onion got stuck in her respiratory tract, and she fell unconscious due to the loss of breath.

In all this, since the baby did not let out a cry, Archana failed to notice that the baby was unconscious. By the time the baby was rushed to the primary health centre 45 minutes later, she was declared brought dead.

Dr Jayasheel, the doctor who was at the PHC said, “A lot of time was wasted initially because she was not brought immediately to the hospital. As soon as she came, we checked on her but unfortunately she was brought dead.”

 

Show us some love and support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.