In a video, Sr Anupama is seen sobbing after she was isolated by the churchgoers at the funeral.

Nuns who protested against Bishop Franco heckled forced to leave Fr Kuriakose funeral
news Kerala Nun protest Friday, October 26, 2018 - 08:19

The group of nuns, who staged a protest against Bishop Franco Mulakkal, were heckled by a section of churchgoers at the funeral of Fr Kuriakose Kattuthara in Cherthala on Thursday. They were later forced to leave the church post the funeral. The incident took place at Cherthala St Mary’s Forane church.

Sr Anupama, who led the protests to get Bishop Franco arrested, and other nuns, had come to Cherthala from Kuruvilangad to attend Fr Kuriakose’s funeral. Visuals from the incident show Sisters Anupama, Alphy and Anaitha being abused by several men outside the church. Sr Anupama was also seen sobbing after the encounter.

“The priest in this parish (Fr Kuriakose) always supported me but I do not understand why the people of my parish aren’t,” a tearful Sr Anupama told mediapersons.

According to reports, the incident happened when the nuns came out to address the media after the funeral. Noticing this, a section of people prohibited the nuns from speaking ill about the church, especially when they were inside the building premises. Following this, they were asked to leave the church, although they said they were from the same parish and had every right to stay.

However, the nuns said that such setbacks will not deter their fight for justice. “We will still fight for justice no matter what. I’m only crying because I have a lot of sadness in my heart and nothing else,” Sr Anupama added.

Farther Kuriakose had been a witness in the Kerala nun rape case and had given his statement to the police. He was a vocational teacher at the Jalandhar diocese. He had also taught the survivor nun and the other nuns in the convent and stood by them during their protest. On Friday, the priest was found lying unconscious on the floor of his room. He was immediately taken to the hospital, where he was declared brought dead.

While Sr Anupama had alleged that Fr Kuriakose had passed away due to mental pressure and threats, the father’s relatives had suspected foul play. However, the autopsy conducted on Wednesday under the supervision of four doctors and a camera revealed that there was nothing suspicious about Fr Kuriakose’s death.

Watch the video: 

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.