news Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 05:30

  It has been five days since M Rishiteswari, a first year B. Arch student in Guntur's Nagarjuna University from Warangal, committed suicide, leaving behind a note that has sparked mass protests in the university's campus. Large groups of students staged a protest in the campus, shouting slogans against the management accusing the warden and other officials of showing lethargy in reacting  to the incident. They also demanded strict action against all officials found guilty and all the senior students responsible for the ragging. On July 21, Rishiteswari's body was found hanging from the ceiling in her room at Indira Priyadarshini hostel block of the university. Next to her, was a suicide note which alleged that seniors had harassed her and spread rumours about her, that left her deeply disturbed. "I have one last wish. Those who are responsible for my death, know it themselves. If they realize their mistake, it is enough. If they never trouble anyone like they troubled me, it is girl should think there is no ragging in a university. University is like hell," she wrote.  The college has declared a ten day holiday since, following student unrest and large scale protests and clashes in the university. It has also suspended college principal Babu Rao.  "Things are still tense at home. We can't just get over it and move on so soon," the 18-year-old's brother-in-law says. As the police investigates, more claims on what could have led to the suicide have emerged. A Times of India report claims that Rishiteswari was paraded half naked by in the girls hostel by some seniors who videotaped the episode. Another report in The Hindu, which has accessed her diary, claims that the most disturbing event took place on April 18, 2015 during a freshers’ party, where a final year student, who is also an accused in the case had misbehaved with her in a drunken state. "We are deeply disturbed by this. We are scared and still in shock," Durgabai, Rishiteswari's mother tells The News Minute. Students staged protests on campus on Saturday alleging that the authorities were trying to hush up the case. "There have been no updates as such, from the government, police or the university. We are running pillar to post from the past few days. We have also sought an appointment with chief minister Chandrababu Naidu," Durgabai adds. The police however, emphasize that they have made three arrests so far. Narala Srinivas, Dharavat Jaichand and Dumpa Hanisha are the three accused of bullying the fresher. They were arrested after FIRs were filed. "The investigation is still on. We have also taken the cellphones, laptops and other belongings of the students to find out what exactly happened," a police officer at the Pedakakani police station says. State Education Minister Srinivasa Rao responded to the suicide note and said, "Rishiteswari's suicide note is heartrending. We will not spare anybody found guilty in the episode. The government has zero tolerance to ragging in colleges." A number of Facebook pages also have popped up, demanding justice for the young girl's death. Meanwhile, a gloomy atmosphere continues to prevail at the 18-year-old's house. "We are staying strong only for her. We want to ensure that something like this should never happen to any other child or parent. The loss of a child is very harsh on everybody," Rishiteswari's mother adds, as she breaks down.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.