Cauvery water dispute
Several from Kollywood had supported the boycott of CSK matches in Chennai over the Cauvery Management Board row.

The Tamil film industry has finally called off its 48 day long strike and new Tamil films will hit the screens from Friday.

However, several people have asked on social media why the industry is releasing new films when the Cauvery Management Board has not been set up as yet. Many celebrities from Kollywood had said that spectators must boycott the IPL matches that were to be played in Chennai. Others had said that the games should be shifted to other cities.

Slamming the film industry for looking the other way now and releasing films, angry social media users questioned their motives. They said there should be no new Tamil releases until the CMB is set up.

The Cauvery protests took a violent turn when CSK supporters were attacked by fringe elements during the CSK Vs KKR match held in Chennai on April 10, the first CSK match in the city. A slipper was also thrown into the field, allegedly aimed at players. These events as well as the protests on the road led to the Chennai matches being shifted.

The news came as a big blow to CSK fans who'd been awaiting the return of their team, which had been banned for two years. Director Bharatiraja and music composer James Vasanthan had said that protesting against the IPL would be the best way to bring international attention to the Cauvery issue. Others from the industry like Seeman, Karunas, Simbu and bigwigs Rajinikanth and Kamal Haasan had also joined in the clamour against the IPL.