The nipah virus has lead to 1407 people being put under quarantine in their own homes mainly in Kozhikode and Malappuram districts.
The state has witnessed 17 deaths in the last two weeks of whom three people have died in the last two days.
Rasil, a native of Kozhikode who died on Thursday is suspected to have contracted the virus from Ismail, another Nipah victim. Ismail in turn is reported to have been infected from Mohammed Sadik, the first suspected Nipah virus victim in Kerala.
Dr Jayasree, Kozhikode District Medical Officer, said, “As of May 31, the total number of confirmed cases stands at 18, out of this 16 have died. This death toll does not reflect Sadik’s death. 2 confirmed cases are under treatment. The number of suspected cases is 11. So far 1407 people are in the contact list.”
The people who have been placed on house quarantine have been asked by the state government to watch out for symptoms and keep nodal health officers informed.
“The health officials periodically call them to check if they have developed symptoms. If they have, they are immediately brought to the hospital. Ambulances have been arranged in case anyone needs to be shifted to hospitals,” Rajeev Sadanand, Additional Chief Secretary (Health and Family Welfare), the government of Kerala told TNM.
Apart from this, a few medical staff from the Balussery Taluk hospital in Kozhikode district who had been in contact with Nipah virus victims have also been placed on house quarantine.
The state wants to prevent a second wave of infections, and is on high alert as new cases of death were reported.
“There is no need to panic. But anyone who has been in contact with patients needs to get themselves admitted if they are showing any symptoms,” said KK Shylaja, the Health Minister of the state.
She also added that they had expected a second round of infections and assured that the state was prepared for it.