Taking to Twitter on Monday, Modi tweeted a picture, claiming that the Interpol had finally clarified its stand.

New chapter ready to begin Emotional Lalit Modi says no Interpol red notice against him
news News Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 10:01

In a major relief for former IPL chairman Lalit Modi, the Interpol has clarified that he isn't subject to a Red Notice, and was also not in the latter's database.

Taking to Twitter on Monday, Modi tweeted a picture of the notice.

It was last year that the Enforcement Directorate had moved the Interpol for a red corner notice against Modi.

However, the international police body did not oblige immediately.

Interpol authorities sought additional information from ED investigators on their money laundering case against Modi as part of the process to issue a worldwide warrant against him.

Modi however, denied any wrongdoing. 

The ED also tried making a fresh request for Modi's extradition under India-UK Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT).

The 1992 India-UK MLAT has a clause where the treaty can be invoked in a criminal probe case seeking the "transfer of persons, including persons in custody, for the purpose of assisting in investigations or giving evidence."

This statement by the Interpol also comes just weeks after Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said that steps were being taken by the government against high profile economic offenders like Vijay Mallya and Lalit Modi.

Jaitley said that there are provisions in place like issuing a Red Corner notice and seizing the passport to ensure that the offenders do not flee, but some find their way out.

"Such people enjoy the country's financial system, commit crime and flee the country," he said.

"In that case we have extradition process. Some countries also facilitate deportation. We are trying to get deportation treaties in place with maximum number of countries," he added.

The Finance Minister said: "We have proposed that we should bring a new law to confiscate their assets or bring amendments to the existing laws for confiscation."

“I had always known in my heart that truth will prevail. But never in my wildest dream did I think that it would be so soon. I am just so thankful to my immediate family and friends and well wishers for being there and want to say thank you for standing by me. I can now peacefully chart my next step in life. Thank you. New chapter ready to begin. It's been 6 years 9 months and 12 days to this day and now ready for a new beginning.”

“Further I must say it is the most astounding result one can hope for specially - that one of the world's largest and most respected international bodies interpol decided this case on the merits, based on the evidence and without considering the many false and baseless articles attacking and smearing your name,” he added.


IANS inputs

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.