1. Former president of BCCI, N Srinivasan, on Thursday moved the Hyderabad High Court to quash criminal proceedings against him, initiated by the CBI, in the illegal investments case of YSRCP chief Jagan Mohan Reddy. Srinivasan is the third accused in the case, for allegedly investing in three companies promoted by Jagan so he could get his India Cementsâ€™ land lease renewed in Kadapa, Deccan Chronicle reports.
2. Lobbying by major liquor companies seems to have finally paid off as AP government has decided to increase the price of various liquor brands. In a U-turn on its decision taken a month ago, the state government decided to cancel the 'free pricing' policy, where manufacturers fix the price of liquor based on demand. Read a Times of India report.
3. Upset over the delay in Andhra Pradesh getting special status, another man committed suicide in the state's Nellore town on Thursday. Ramishetti Laksmaiah hanged himself at his house in Nellore, leaving behind a suicide note in which he wrote that the delay by the central government drove him to end his life. Read more.
4. A day after the shocking incident of a newborn dying after being bitten by rodents in Guntur, Minister for Medical Education Kamineni Srinivas on Thursday ordered for a cleanup of the Government General Hospital and asked the District Collector and Municipal Commissioner to launch a special drive to get rid of rodents on the premises. Read The Hindu's report.
5. The Special CBI Court on Thursday issued a non-bailable warrant against special chief secretary to AP L V Subrahmanyam mentioned as accused number 10 in the CBI charge sheet filed in the Emaar case. A judge directed the police to execute the warrant and produce him in the court on September 4. Read a report in The New Indian Express.