news Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 05:30

The News Minute | November 16, 2014 | 12.48 pm IST

Islamabad: The Pakistan Army has said it has cleared 90 percent of North Waziristan Agency of terrorists during the ongoing 'Zarb-e-Azb' operation.

This was stated by operational commander Maj. Gen. Zafar Ullah Khan at a media briefing in Mir Ali Sunday, Radio Pakistan reported.

He said so far 1,198 terrorists have been killed and 356 were injured during the operation.

The commander said 2,708 sq km of area has so far been vacated while the remaining would be cleared as soon as possible.

He said that the return of the internally displaced persons (IDPs) to their homes would be possible after removal of land mines and improvised explosive devices (IED) laid by terrorists in the area.

The army has made major recoveries of weapons, ammunition, explosives, improvised explosive devices and their manufacturing facilities during the operation.

The scope of the operation had to be enhanced as some terrorists relocated themselves to the peripheral and adjoining areas.

The commander dispelled the impression that there were any good or bad terrorists, saying the operation is being carried out across the board against all the local and foreign terrorists.
IANS

Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.