Kusum was the one who let Sukhbir into her flat on the fateful day

Man arrested in Haryana for murdering Bengaluru-based software engineerImage: Kusum/ Facebook
news Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 17:38

Two days after a thirty-year-old woman was found murdered in Bengaluru, police have arrested the suspect in Haryana.

Sukhbir Singh has been arrested for murdering Kusum Singla on Tuesday. He is being brought back to the city for questioning, said P Harisekaran, Additional Commissioner of Police (East), Bengaluru.

According to Bengaluru police, Kusum had met Sukhbir on social media and he had promised to marry her. It is through social media that the police tracked down Sukhbir as the CCTV footage obtained from Kusum's apartment complex was not clear.

Harisekaran said, "Kusum had been strangled with a laptop cord by Sukhbir, whom she had met three months ago. We identified the suspect at the scene of crime itself and later used social media analysis tools to confirm that Sukhbir had indeed committed the crime."

According to a NDTV report, Kusum was the one who let Sukhbir into her flat on the fateful day.

Sukhbir had reportedly come to meet Kusum and had asked for money. He initially asked for Rs 50,000 and later settled for Rs 5,000. However, when Kusum refused to pay, an enraged Sukhbir strangled her in a fit of rage, said the police.

Kusum, who has been working in IBM in Whitefield since September 2015, was found dead with strangle marks on her neck in her apartment in Mahaveer Kings Place, in Kadugodi in east-Bengaluru.

The incident came to light when Nidhi Sharma,  with whom Kusum shared her flat, returned at 7:30pm after work only to see her flatmate lying in a pool of blood.

Nidhi immediately called out to the neighbours and police. Kusum’s body was taken to a nearby hospital.

Kusum, who was a native of Punjab, had worked in Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh before moving to Bengaluru. She used to go to office only a couple of times a week and would work from home on other days. On the day of the murder, Kusum had worked from home.

The apartment security guards told the police that someone had reportedly come to visit Kusum at 12:30pm and had left at 3:00pm. The visitor had to wait for half an hour before meeting her, as Kusum had stepped out.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.