A major crack on the road halted traffic on the Mumbai-Nashik highway in Maharashtra's Kasara Ghat. The crack developed on Monday night after heavy rainfall. Pictures of the cracked road were circulated on social media. The photographs are from Kasara Ghat in Maharashtra. Officials are currently carrying out repair works. Earlier, KSRTC officials had told TNM and multiple other news outlets that the picture was from Karnataka-Maharashtra border. However, this article has been updated after a clarification from the Maharashtra State Highway police on Tuesday evening.
Meanwhile, all buses bound for Mumbai, Kolhapur and Shirdi from Karnataka have been stopped, while the road between Ankola and Yellapur in Uttara Kannada district is also blocked due to inundation.
Here is a full list of the roads closed in northern Karnataka: Yellapur-Ankola, Hubballi-Yellapur; BGM: Belagavi-Panjim, Jamkandi-Vijayapur, Belagavi-Gokak, Belagavi-Vengurla; CKD: Kagwad-Miraj, Chikkodi-Ichalkaranji, Nippani-Kolhapur, Gokak-Vijayapur, Nippani-Gadinglaj, Nippani-Hupri, Athani-Kudchi; BGK: Jamkandi-Savalagi, Jamakandi-Guddapur, Chikkapadsalgi barrage, Kudachi barrage.
As a result of the torrential rain and consequent water flowing below the track, the South Western Railway-Hubballi Division has informed that both up and down lines between Londa and Tinaighat are suspended from 1 am of August 6 till further advice.
Divisional Engineer of Hubballi Division advised train traffic to be suspended for the safety of passengers.
The following trains have been rescheduled / short terminated / partially cancelled:
1. Train No. 12742 Patna-Vasco da gama which is diverted via Miraj and arriving on 06.08.2019 will be short terminated at Belagavi.
2. Train No. 06948 Hubballi-Vasco da gama slip coaches will be short terminated at Londa on 06.08.2019.
3. Train No.18048 Vasco da gama- Howrah Express scheduled to depart at 07:10 hrs. on 06.08.2019 is rescheduled to depart at 13:10 hrs. on 06.08.2019.
4. Train No. 12780 Hazrat Nizamuddin-Vasco da gama arriving on 06.08.2019 will be short terminated at Belagavi. Slip coaches will be moved separately to Hubballi.
5. Train No.02779 Vasco da gama-KSR Bengaluru Express commencing journey on 06.08.2019 will originate from Londa instead of Vasco da gama partially cancelling the service between Vasco da gama and Londa.
The heavy rainfall has led to flooding of villages in the Krishna river basin and rescue operations involving personnel of the Army, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), Fire and Emergency services and home guards are underway.
Note: This article was updated as KSRTC, police and other officials revised their statements on Tuesday evening.