LKG student falls into septic tank at Chennai school and dies

Workers had left the septic tank open and unchecked, and the boy fell into the hole.
LKG student falls into septic tank at Chennai school and dies
LKG student falls into septic tank at Chennai school and dies
Written by :

In a tragic incident, a four-year-old child died in Chennai on Friday after he fell into an open septic tank at his school in Srinivasapuram, Iyyapanthangal near Porur.

The deceased, identified as LKG student M Kirtheeshwaran, the son of a daily wage labourer, was let out of class at Masi Matriculation Higher Secondary school for a toilet break around 11:30 am. 

According to reports, a septic tank was left open and unchecked near the washroom and Kirtheeshwaran fell into the hole.

“The victim had gone along with three other boys to the rest room. He failed to notice that the lid of the septic tank was open and slipped into the tank filled with 10-foot-deep sewage water,” an investigating officer was quoted as saying.

“During investigation, we found that the school had hired a plumber to check the septic tank. He was carrying out works and during lunch, he left the tank open and went outside,” the police officer added.

Other children who witnessed the incident informed the teachers, who in turn alerted the school management. Following this, the police was called in along with fire and rescue service personnel.

As news of the incident spread, several parents turned up outside the school and staged a protest. The SRMC police rushed to the spot and said that action would be initiated against the management of the school, to ascertain who was responsible for the child's death. 

"No other child should meet such a tragic end. Authorities should wake up from their slumber and ensure such an accident never repeats in any of the schools and strict action should be taken against those responsible," A Karthik, a local, told DC.

A case was registered under Section 304(A) (causing death due to negligence) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). 

The police also said that no arrest had been made so far, and the post-morterm of the body would be conducted on Saturday.

Further action would be taken based on the autopsy report.

Related Stories

No stories found.
The News Minute