As we speak, massive evacuation is underway in and around Champakara in Kochi after ammonia started leaking from a barge in Kochi.
Officials are trying to contain the leak in Vytila area. According to reports the barge had stored 96 tonnes of ammonia.
Though efforts to neutralise the ammonia with water are being carried out, residents have been evacuated and people in nearby areas have been asked to cover their face with a wet cloth. Read full story here.
If you are in Kochi, this is what you need to know.
Ammonia is an irritating and caustic substance. You will recognize its leakage for its typical acrid odour. It irritates your eyes, mucosa, airways, lungs, and skin very strong. Its high concentration may cause swelling of your lungs and asphyxia.
If you are in the affected area, here is what you should do
- try to hold your breath as long as possible
- protect your airways (cover your nose and mouth with a handkerchief, towel, scarf, sweatshirt, and suchlike; if possible, wet the fabric with water)
- stay calm and leave the building
- help also the disabled ones
If you see a person being affected by the ammonia leak, here is what you should do
- move the victim to fresh air
- flush affected eyes with flowing lukewarm water
- remove caked clothes
- embrocate affected area properly with water
- keep the affected person warm and calm
- induce vomiting in the patient if there has been any ingestion