A 63-year-old man was charred to death inside a car in Kerala's Kottayam district on Wednesday.
A white car was parked near a rubber estate on the Pala-Uzhavoor road when some passersby noticed an old man in the driver's seat of the car, who was making calls on his mobile phone.
In a matter of a few minutes, the car suddenly caught fire, engulfing the whole vehicle in a matter of seconds. The incident happened at around 1.30 pm on Wednesday.
Eye-witnesses told the media that the car had been parked by the side of the road for nearly 20 minutes, before it went up in flames. After rescue efforts by residents failed, the fire and rescue personnel, who reached the spot, doused the fire. They found that Suresh had been charred to death inside the car.
According to reports, Suresh was the president of the computer dealers association and was a native of Murukkupuzha in Kottayam district.
Pala police, who have registered a case of unnatural death following the incident, told TNM that Suresh's post-mortem procedures concluded on Thursday morning at the Kottayam Medical College hospital.
While the police initially suspected that a fault in the car may have led to the sudden fire, Pala police is now exploring the possibility of suicide.
The police have found traces of petrol inside the vehicle, leading to suspicion that Suresh may have committed suicide. According to reports, all the windows of the car were pulled up and Suresh failed to make efforts to get out of the car when it caught fire.
The New Indian Express reported that Suresh is survived by his wife Dr Vasanthy, and two children.