State Health Minister Veena George said that the West Nile virus can cause a fatal neurological disease in humans, but most of those infected will not show any symptoms.

A black colored mosquito with white spots on its bodyIMAGE FOR REPRESENTATION
news Health Monday, May 30, 2022 - 09:17

A 47-year-old man died due to West Nile fever in Kerala's Thrissur district, on Sunday, May 29. This is the first fatality in the state caused by the vector-borne infection in the last three years, prompting the Health Department to issue directions for people to eliminate mosquito breeding sites to prevent the disease. West Nile Fever is a mosquito-borne disease caused by flavivirus WNV and is related to viruses that cause Japanese Encephalitis, yellow fever and St Louis encephalitis.

The Kerala Health Department said it took proactive measures as soon as a case of West Nile fever was detected in Thrissur district. "A special team from the medical office visited the locality of the victim and the district vector control board took samples from various parts of the district for testing. Steps were taken to destroy the mosquito breeding sites in the locality," the release said.

Sources told PTI that the man developed fever and other symptoms on May 17, and after getting treatment from various hospitals, he was admitted to the government medical college in Thrissur, where he was diagnosed with West Nile fever. The Health Department has issued directions to district authorities to remain vigilant and take precautionary measures.

"Importance should be given to destroying the mosquito breeding sites everywhere. Individuals should take responsibility and clean their residential areas. Clogged drains, stagnant water should be cleared," state Health Minister Veena George said. She also said that the West Nile virus can cause a fatal neurological disease in humans, but most of those infected will not show any symptoms. It is mainly transmitted through the bites of infected mosquitoes.

The Health Department said West Nile fever is spread by the Culex species of mosquitoes. It was first detected in 1937 in Uganda. The fever was first detected in Kerala in 2011 and a six-year-old boy from Malappuram died due to the fever in 2019.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.