Family members allege that the death of the boy was caused by the candy.

Jelly candy banned in Kozhikode after 4-year-old dies after eating it
news Death Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:43

The sale and distribution of jelly candy has been banned in Kozhikode in Kerala following the death of a four-year old, which is suspected to have happened due to a contaminated jelly candy the child consumed, according to PTI. The ban was imposed by the food safety department.

On Friday, the child Yousuf, son of Suhara Bi and Basheer, and his mother were hospitalised after they fell sick, allegedly after consuming jelly candy at a bakery in Kozhikode. According to Malayalam dailies, Kasaba police has filed a case of unnatural death. Family members allege that the death of the boy was caused by the candy. The bakery was closed down after an inspection by health officials and the police. The police could alter the FIR after receiving the post-mortem report on the toddler.

The jelly candy was reportedly brought from Tamil Nadu and a trader in Tirur is the wholesale dealer for it. According to reports, the candy was manufactured by National Confectionery, Madurai, on March 25, and had an expiry date of May 25. 

Suhara Bi bought the candy from a bakery at the bus stand in the Kozhikode town on April 13. They had consumed it while returning home. On reaching home, both the mother and son started vomiting. They also had diarrhea that night. They were then admitted to a hospital in Kappad. Their condition worsened and they were referred to Kozhikode medical college hospital on Friday night.

The boy died on the way to the hospital. The mother is in critical condition, according to reports.

Yousuf's body was handed over to his relatives on Saturday after post-mortem.

 
Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.