A mother and her son died from suffocation due to the smoke from a charcoal fire they had lit at home to keep themselves warm in Hyderabad on Wednesday, police said. The incident occurred at a house in posh Jubliee Hills, where the woman was working as housemaid.
The bodies of Bucchi Veni (37) and her son Padma Raju (20) were recovered from the housemaidâ€™s quarters. Police suspect they died from suffocation during sleep.
They had lit the charcoal fire and closed the door and windows to protect themselves from the chilly weather. The smoke had filled the room, leading to their deaths. Veni and her son hailed from East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh.
Hyderabad and other parts of Telangana have been experiencing freezing weather for the last two days with maximum temperature falling 8 to 10 degree Celsius below normal.
Earlier this week, the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) said that the minimum temperature in Hyderabad hovered around 18 degree Celsius while the maximum temperature was 27 degree Celsius, which is 2 degrees below the usual temperature at this time of the year. Areas at the outskirts of the city like Hakimpet, even saw the temperature dip to 16 degree Celsius.
Areas like Medak in Telangana witnessed the lowest temperature in the state, at 13 degree Celsius.
According to media reports, in the span of one week, the maximum temperature in the city fell from 30.6 degrees Celsius on December 10, dropped to 20.8 degrees on December 17.
This was attributed to Cyclonic storm â€˜Phethai, which crossed the Andhra Pradesh coast at East Godavari district, causing widespread rains, uprooting trees, paralyzing transport and damaging crops.
â€˜Phethai' made the landfall near Katrinekonda in East Godavari district with a wind speed of 80 kmph and re-emerged into the Bay of Bengal before crossing the coast between Kakinada and Yanam, an enclave of Puducherry in the same district.