Tariq Anjum, an accused in Hyderabad twin blasts case, has been convicted of harbouring and sheltering the seven main accused by the special court at the Cherlapally Central Prison. He was not charged with the others for the blasts, but his case was being heard parallelly by the court. The quantum of sentence will be pronounced later on Monday.
The court will also pronounce the quantum of sentence of Aneeq Shafique Sayeed and Ismail Chaudhary, convicted for their role in the blasts, on Monday.
On September 4, a special court set up in Cherlapally Central Prison found both Aneeq Shafique and Ismail Chaudhary guilty, and two others â€” Farooq Sharfuddin Tarkish and Mohd Sadiq Israr Shaik â€“ were acquitted.
On August 25, 2007, two bombs ripped through two of the most crowded places in Hyderabadâ€”the Lumbini Park, near the Secretariat and Gokul Chat, a popular eatery in Koti.
The blasts killed 42 persons and injured over 50 persons. More than 150 witnesses were questioned and cross-examined during the decade-long trial, the hearing for which concluded on August 7.
Investigation authorities said that the blasts were carried out by the banned outfit Indian Mujahideen (IM). The founders of IM Riyaz and Iqbal Bhatkal, along with another accused, are absconding.
A chargesheet was filed in 2013 against Riyaz and Iqbal Bhatkal, Aneeq Shafique Sayeed, Ismail Chaudhary, Farooq Sharfuddin Tarkish, Mohd Sadiq Israr Shaik and one other person. They were booked under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Explosive Substances Act.
According to the police, Riyaz Bhatkal had asked Mohammed Akbar Ismail Chaudhary, a resident of Pune, to visit Hyderabad and identify crowded places to plant bombs. As instructed, he conducted a recce across Hyderabad and planted bombs at several places, out of which two exploded.
The investigating authorities had earlier said that terrorists used Neogel-90, an ammonium nitrate base, in the improvised explosive devices (IEDs).