Hyd girl stabbed by stalker remains critical, surgery must wait till vitals stabilise

The 17-year-old student left her home on Wednesday morning and was walking to college when the accused, 19-year-old Bharath, attacked her with a sickle.
Hyd girl stabbed by stalker remains critical, surgery must wait till vitals stabilise
Hyd girl stabbed by stalker remains critical, surgery must wait till vitals stabilise
Written by:

More than a day after a 17-year-old girl was brutally attacked by a stalker in Hyderabad, the girl remains in critical condition at Yashoda Hospital in Malakpet. C Bharath, a 19-year-old first-year degree student, was arrested on Wednesday, hours after stabbing and maiming the minor girl with a coconut sickle.

Speaking to TNM, Yashoda Hospitals PRO Sampath stated that while doctors have been able to control the bleeding, her blood pressure continues to fluctuate. “She continues to be on ventilator support. While her blood pressure has stabilised compared to yesterday, it is still fluctuating. She is still in a critical stage. The doctors have planned to take her up for some scans. Depending on what the scans and tests reveal they will evaluate her again and determine if she can be taken up for surgery now.”

Officials from the hospital stated to the media that the girl's pulse and blood pressure were low when she was brought to the hospital on Wednesday, and that surgery can only be considered once these vital signs return to normal. The fingers on her left hand were nearly completely severed and some nerves in the hands were noted to have been cut as well. The girl has been taken up for more scans by doctors who will only be able to say anything after 48 hours, as she has yet to regain consciousness. A team of 5 doctors is continuously monitoring her.

The 17-year-old second-year intermediate student was walking to college around 8 a.m. near her home on Wednesday morning when the accused, Bharath alias Sonu, stabbed her multiple times on the hands, neck and head with the large knife. She was taken to Yashoda Hospital on Wednesday where she remains in a critical condition. Doctors have not been able to take her up for surgery as her vitals continue to fluctuate and remain unstable.

Bharath had allegedly been stalking the girl for the last year and claiming to be in love with her, police said in a press release. The girl’s uncle spoke to the media on Wednesday and stated that they had earlier approached the SHE Team regarding Bharath’s harassment.

Following the shocking attack, Bharath was absconding only to be apprehended by officials on Wednesday evening.

"Bharath alias Sonu had been following and harassing the girl claiming to have been in love with her. The girls family had earlier approached the SHE Team accordingly, the SHE team officials had given counselling to the accused Bharath, but the accused Bharath did not change his attitude and continued to observe her movements on the roof of his home,” stated the official press release issued by the Hyderabad police following Bharath’s arrest.

Related Stories

No stories found.
The News Minute