Amidst severe rain and flooding in parts of north, central and coastal Karnataka, train services have been badly affected with tracks getting submerged under water.
The South Western Railway issued a bulletin stating, â€ťTorrential rainfall over the last two days caused substantial water to inundate track between Londa and Tinaighat at 1 am on 6th Aug morning. Water was flowing below the track and same was restored at 15:10 hrs. on 06.08.2019. Railway staff undertook massive restoration work in hostile weather conditions under the guidance of Shri A.K. Singh, GM/SWR and Shri Rajesh Mohan Divisional Railway Manager. Up line was made fit for train operations by 15:10 hrs, in record time of 14 hrs given the gravity of situation. The same was possible due to the untiring efforts of railway staff battling odds of weather conditions. The first passenger train to pass on this line will be Train No. 06948 Super Express that leaves Hubballi tonight.â€ť
The statement, issued by the Divisional Railway Managerâ€™s office in Hubballi, also goes on to list the affected routes:
- Train No. 12742 Patna-Vasco da gama diverted via Miraj was short terminated at Belagavi on 06.08.2019.
- Train No. 06948 Hubli-Vasco da gama slip coaches short terminated at Londa on 06.08.2019.
- Train No. 12780 Hazrat Nizamuddin-Vasco da gama arriving on 06.08.2019 was short terminated at Belagavi. Slip coaches moved separately to Hubballi.
- Train No.02779 Vasco da gama-KSR Bengaluru Express commencing journey on 06.08.2019 will originate from Londa instead of Vasco da gama partially cancelling the service between Vasco da gama and Londa.
- Train No. 18048 Vasco - Da - Gama â€“ Howrah Express commencing journey on 06.08.2019 was cancelled.
- Train No. 17305 Hubli - Hazrat Nizamuddin Link Express scheduled to depart Hubballi at 16:15 hrs on 06.08.2019 will be rescheduled to depart at 00:30 hrs on 07.08.2019.
- Train No. 12779 Vasco - Da â€“ Gama â€“ Hazrat Nizamuddin Express scheduled to depart Londa at 19:00 hrs on 06.08.2019 will be rescheduled to depart at 02:30 hrs on 07.08.2019. Accordingly, this train will remain partially cancelled between Vasco - Da â€“ Gama â€“ Londa.
- As Train No. 18048 Vasco - Da - Gama â€“ Howrah Express is cancelled on Tuesday, Train No. 08048 Vasco da gama-Howrah One Way Tatkal Express Special will be run on 07.08.2019 from Vasco da gama with same timings for the convenience of passengers.
Two more trains were cancelled due to fresh landslides on Sakaleshpur-Subramanya Ghat section. Tese were 1) MangaloreJn.-Yeswantpur Express 2) Mangalore Central-Yeswantpur Express
On Tuesday, the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) had issued a 48-hour red warning in six districts of the state viz. Dakshina Kannada, Uttara Kannada, Chikkamagaluru, Shivamogga, Kodagu and Udupi; orange warning in Belagavi, Hassan and Haveri; and yellow alert in Dharwad and Kalaburgi.