Three hours before he went into surgery he was playing. There was nothing wrong with him, his father says

He might not be normal again says father of Bengaluru boy who is in coma after hand surgery
news Monday, June 20, 2016 - 11:36

Ten days after their five-year-old son slipped into a coma, Purushottam and his wife simply do not know what went wrong, how or whether their son will recover to be normal.

On June 10, Lakshay P slipped into a coma during a surgery at Mallya Hospital. He injured himself in school while playing on a desk in his classroom. Doctors said he required surgery on his left hand and that his middle finger could not be saved and that the ring finger required plastic surgery.

“Three hours before he went into surgery he was playing. There was nothing wrong with him,” Purushottam said.

At the end of it, doctors said that Lakshay’s lungs had to be punctured to save him. He has now been shifted to Manipal Hospitals as Mallya Hospital did not have the facilities to look after the boy. He is currently on ventilator support.

“Doctors have told us that he might not be normal when he wakes up. He might not be able to recognise us, or might be paralysed,” Purushottam says. Doctors at both NIMHANS and Manipal Hospitals agree that Lakshay could possibly be permanently changed.

According to the statement released by Mallya Hospital, the boy suffered a complete collapse of the lungs after he was administered anaesthesia at the operation theatre.

Purushottam said that he is currently not in a position to file a complaint with the police and Karnataka Medical Council against Mallya Hospital doctors for medical negligence. “I go to the hospital at 7.30 am and return at 11.30 pm,” Purushottam says. He lives in the Indiranagar area of the city, which is about 5 km away from the hospital.

Health minister UT Khader told The News Minute that he has not received any complaint from the parents so far. “I have sought for a report from Mallya hospital. But we need to get a complaint from the parents to take any action. I will decide on what action to be taken after I receive the report,” he said.

The Times of India quoted Shalini Rajneesh, principal secretary, health and family welfare saying, “I have asked the doctors in the department to obtain a report from Mallya hospital. The government will decide the next course of action after the hospital submits a detailed report to us. Meanwhile, the department has asked Manipal Hospital (where the boy is currently undergoing treatment) to consider his expenses under the government's Suvarna Arogya Suraksha Trust. Our doctors are also working with Manipal Hospital to give the boy the best possible treatment. If required, doctors from Nimhans will be roped in, as the case requires neurosurgeons to intervene.”​

 

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.