The retired IGP demanded that the call records of police officers probing the case be made public.

Former top cop alleges Karnataka police under political pressure in Nalapad case
news Controversy Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 15:52

In an explosive revelation, BNS Reddy, former Inspector General of Police, Karnataka on Thursday said that the police officers investigating the assault case by Mohammed Haris Nalapad, son of Congress MLA NA Haris have been put under pressure by some political elements.

Nalapad, who was the Bengaluru Youth Congress General Secretary was arrested after he and friends brutally assaulted 24-year-old Vidvat, son of a prominent businessman.
The retired IGP demanded that the call records of police officers probing the case be made public in order to restore the citizen’s faith in the law and order machinery. “I demand a court monitored probe and want a suo moto case registered against those trying to influence the medical investigation. Citizens faith needs to be restored in the law and order machinery,” he said.
Initiating a campaign called ‘Bhayamukta Bengaluru’ to increase citizens’ role and responsibilities in fighting crime in the city, BNS Reddy, the former top cop put forth several of his concerns during a press meet in the city.”Why did Farzi Cafe management remain mute spectators? What were the bouncers at the pub doing? Why, over 50 security guards at UB City watched helplessly? Make the call records in the case public,” he questioned. 
The former IGP said that there is a lack of trust among people and that policing could be improved only if people participated in it as responsible citizens.
BNS Reddy who once served as DCP Central covering the Shantinagar area which is part of Haris' constituency said, ““People are scared into submission and ignoring such things. That is why they became mute spectators to the reign of terror unleashed by Mohammed Nalapad. Bengaluru has to fight back, its citizens have to ensure that the respect for law is maintained”.
He had earlier visited Vidwat at the hospital. Mohammed Haris Nalapad was accused of brutally attacking Vidwat at Farzi Cafe on February 19. While Nalapad could not be traced on February 20, he surrendered himself at Cubbon Park Police Station on Monday morning amid high drama.
The police also added ‘attempt to murder’ to the list of charges against Nalapad on February 21.Vijay Hadagali, police inspector at Cubbon Park Police Station was suspended in the wake of the incident.


Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.